"Why Can't My Kid Poop?!"
Super frustrating, I know!
You feel like you've tried All The Things but still, your child is plugged up!
They say, "just drink more water".
But you've tried!
They say, "they should eat more fruit and veggies".
But they won't eat them!
They say, "just keep giving the laxative".
But for months? Years?
They say, "it's because they're stressed".
But they've gone to therapy!
"Just Go Already!!!!"
Listen, I've worked with a lot of kids, and I'll tell you this:
POOPING is something your child needs to be doing in order to experience good health.
That means they need to deliver a solid, well-formed poop to the toilet 1-3 times a day.
I think you realize pooping is a non-negotiable, but there are some things maybe you didn't know about poop...
Not only does that clogged poop cause belly pain,
but it might also be contributing to...
Skin issues like acne or eczema or excessive itchiness
Pickiness around food or food refusal
Mood instability like anxiety and depression
Waking at night or poor sleep in general
Irritability and poor focus at school
Blood sugar instability, weight gain, and sugar cravings
Persistent nausea or intermittent vomiting
Sluggish immune health (aka getting sick all the time)
So Many Things!! Because getting the poop out is like taking out the garbage.
Could you imagine the chaos in your home if you never took out the garbage???
Holding on to all that junk puts a massive amount of stress on your child's little body which then keeps them stuck in a vicious cycle.
Because who can poop when they're stressed??
So let's get to the bottom of it - break the cycle, unplug the drain, and get the garbage out, shall we?
Constipation in kids has reached mission critical!
(so I'm sad to say, you're in good company!)
It's time for a fresh approach to constipation in kids.
You're right to be concerned about the excessive use of commonly used laxatives.
I mean a clean-out is one thing, but daily use? And for months or years?
Something else is going on...
Laxatives might soften the stool but they don't uproot the problem and long term use can undermine your child's health.
I'm NOT here to tell you to stop using the laxative your doc gave you.
Doing so without a good alternative strategy in place could put your child at risk. BUT...
Finding a real solution for your child starts with asking the right questions.
7 things that could be clogging up your child...
1. Their food is not being fully digested and is causing inflammation in the gut, slowing motility.
Solution: figure out where the breakdown is and support better digestion from tip to tail
2. Certain bacteria have overgrown in the gut which are slowing motility
Solution: run a stool test to figure out whether this imbalance has occured and use specific herbs and probiotics strategically to restore order to the ecosystem
3. A parasite or infection in their gut is slowing motility and interfering with absorption
Solution: same as above
4. Excessive stress hormones are slowing motility
Solution: Use foods and nutrients to support the nervous system so the gut can let go
5. They lack certain nutrients like fiber, magnesium, or zinc which are needed for good digestive function (did you know zinc is needed for stomach acid and just about every digestive enzyme??)
Solution: Bring more nutrition into the diet and use supplements when needed
6. They are dehydrated
Solution: Find creative ways to get more water into them AND get more minerals in too so that water gets into cells where it's needed instead of just being peed out
7. Food Sensitivities are fuelling the fire in the gut (aka feeding inflammation and slowing motility)
Solution: Run a food elimination trial and/or sensitivity test to see which foods might be fueling the fire while you work on solution #1
>> GUT CHECK YOUR KIDS <<
A holistic approach to better poops for kids.
This is for you if...
- You have a child aged 2-18 who doesn't poop well and you want to avoid or get them off of harsh laxatives.
- You want a partner to help you figure out what's really interfering with good digestive health.
- You think you might want access to stool testing so you know what's going on in your child's gut.
- You want to learn simple ways to support better digestion in your kids.
- You've heard about things like magnesium, slippery elm, senna and other natural ways to get the bowels moving but want some guidance on how to use that stuff with kids safely.
- You're not sure if taking out certain foods might help but are willing to consider some diet changes if there's a good reason to.
- You're comfortable talking about poop!
Gut Check will be designed for children who have a relatively "regular" digestive system and are generally in good health. This is probably not a good fit if there are genetic, medical, or surgical contributors to their gut issues, including feeding tubes or mobility issues.
Not sure if your family qualifies? Get on the waitlist and more details will be forthcoming. We'll decide together.
Let's figure out what's clogging up your child!Yes! Put Me On The Waitlist!
Doors to Gut Check aren't open yet - we plan to run a beta version in early 2023.
If you think you might be interested, enter your name and email here.
No Pressure... we'll give you some starting points to get you going and notify you when details are ready!
By entering your email you give Jess Sherman permission to send you email. We'll send you more info about Gut Check.
Hey I'm Jess Sherman. I'll be your guide.
I'm a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, Board Certified in Practical Holistic Nutrition. I'm also the author of Raising Resilience, and mom of three.
For over 20 years I've been teaching parents how to support the mental and physical health of their kids. Plus, I know what it means to be a busy mom who just wants her kids to be healthy.
I've studied a number of different therapeutic diets that can help digestion like GAPS, Paleo, low FODMAPs and more, and I use that insight along with my training in functional testing and the developing nervous system to help kids feel happier and more settled.
Getting your kids pooping better is foundational for better health and the goal of Gut Check is to help you figure out what's going on "down there" so you can stop shooting in the dark. So let's do this!Just what I need. Add me to the waitlist